John and Glen kick off a two-part series on Open Banking by discussing two intriguing cyber security solutions, Wells' cardless ATM enablement, and a jazz-playing robot. Then they dig into the EU's Payment Services Directive and what it means for the US. Listen to part two "Data Sharing: Is the Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty?" now.
Download this podcast from iTunes.
Are you an Android user? Click Here.
Download the BIGCast App for Iphone.
In this episode:
- Wells Fargo’s announcement of a “big bang” upgrade to all 13,000 of its ATMs that will enable cardless cash withdrawal Why Top of App is becoming the new Top of Wallet.
- Glen attended the Technology Association of Georgia’s annual Georgia Technology Summit and gives us a quick overview, including:
- Shimon the jazz-playing robot.
- An interview with Robert Ball from Ionic Security about its disruptive approach to data breaches (https://www.ionic.com/).
- How Pindrop is working to help FIs combat call center fraud through its unique audio analysis technology (https://www.pindrop.com/).
- PSD2: what it does, how it works, how it leads to innovation, and the related acronyms you need to know.
URLs related to this week's BIGCast:
- http://bigfintechmedia.com/Podcast/fintech-innovation-with-a-posh-accent - Previous BIGcast that highlighted companies at Finovate Europe leveraging PSD2 to power new solutions.
- http://www.thepaypers.com/expert-opinion/psd2-xs2a-adoption-what-are-the-implications-for-banks-/763148 - Article on PSD2 adoption on The Paypers Web site.
- https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-psd2-opportunities-banks - Accenture’s overview of PSD2 for European financial institutions.
- https://www.evry.com/en/news/articles/psd2-the-directive-that-will-change-banking-as-we-know-it/ - Article on the Evry Web site regarding how PSD2 is going to disrupt the European banking industry.
- http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/wells-fargo-atms-phone-codes-cards-46283581 - ABC News article on the Wells Fargo ATM announcement.
Top of App / Top of Wallet
- http://news.cuna.org/articles/111994-interchange-wars-why-top-of-wallet-is-no-longer-enough - Glen’s latest blog post at CUNA regarding why Top of App is superseding Top of Wallet.
Technology Association of Georgia
- http://tagstateoftheindustry.com/2017/ – Technology Association of Georgia’s State of the Industry report and related information on its Web site.
- https://vimeo.com/11724134 - Stephen Colbert’s hilarious take on Shimon the jazz playing robot (Stephen and John seem to share a similar regard for jazz).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy1Naexo3Bc – Shimon’s demo reel on YouTube, including explanations from the Georgia Tech data scientists who created him.
- http://bigfintechmedia.com/Podcast/communicating-the-cu-advantage John expresses concern for Shimon’s cousin Pepper
- http://www.culedger.com/ - CU Ledger is the distributed ledger network for credit unions.
- http://www.setitcredit.com/ - To learn more about Setit Credit and how it allows your credit union to gain a larger share of your member’s wallet.
- April 17-19 SymEast 2017 in Louisville Kentucky. Come visit BIG at SymEast 2017 and see the latest in innovative technology we have to offer. SymEast is comprised of credit unions located in the eastern US that use the Symitar core processing system. There are other user groups around the US and you can find the latest list at Symitar.com.
April 23-26 NACHA FASTER PAYMENTS 2017 Conference in Austin, Texas. Faster payments has arrived and the PAYMENTS conference is at the epicenter. Get beyond the hype to the facts and understand what the breadth of Same day ACH and real-time payments opportunities mean to your credit union. Learn from leading strategists and innovators to shape your product offerings and compete. Gain meaningful takeaways to inform your decision making. Enter promo code BESTPOD17 when you register to receive a 10% discount.
- June 11-14 AXFI Conference in Minneapolis Minnesota. Join BIG and OnApproach at the premier educational event for credit unions and community bank professionals who are serious about financial innovation. Register now and save $200 with the early bird special. http://www.axficonference.com/.
Have an idea for a podcast? Have something you would like to share with us? Something you would like John to research? Please contact us on Twitter or our Web site.
If you like our podcast, please tweet and share on social media.