Manuel Stagars has released his latest documentary, The Blockchain and Us, that focuses on non-technical implications of distributed ledger technology. Manuel and John discuss the new film, social disruption, the implications of distributed ledger technology outside of finance and the importance of “future-proofing” in the age of disruption.
Download this podcast from iTunes.
Are you an Android user? Click Here.
Download the BIGCast App for Iphone.
In this episode:
- Why Manuel makes films focused on FinTech.
- The motivations behind making The Blockchain and Us, including why Manuel chose to not focus on technology.
- The similarities between airplanes and blockchains.
- Why it’s time to stop using the term blockchain, with some helpful analogies.
- Why distributed ledger disruption extends beyond finance, and why it is generating interest across industries and generations.
- Trust, identity, and the Internet of things.
- The important soft-skills needed to ensure success in a future driven by new technologies.
The Blockchain and Us is available to view at http://blockchain-documentary.com/ and on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iF73cybTBs&t=30s. You can also contact Manuel on Twitter @manuelstagars.
URLs related to this week's BIGCast:
- http://bigfintechmedia.com/Podcast/fintech-and-innovation-in-switzerland - FinTech and Innovation in Switzerland – A Discussion with Filmmaker and Entrepreneur Manuel Stagars, first BIGcast with Manuel Stagars.
- http://fintech-documentary.com/e/ - Watch FinTech Made in Switzerland online.
- https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action - Ted Talk by Simon Sinek on inspirational leadership, including the leadership and development example of Samuel Pierpont Langley.
- https://www.sovrin.org/ - The Sovrin Foundation was established to govern the world’s first self-sovereign identity (SSI) network.
- https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf - Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System published by Satoshi Nakamoto on the bitcoin digital currency.
- http://evernym.com/ - Evernym’s Web site.
- https://www.johnsbestjr.com/ - John’s speaking engagement Web site.
- April 17-19 SymEast 2017 in Louisville Kentucky. Come visit BIG at SymEast 2017 and see the latest in innovative technology we have to offer. SymEast is comprised of credit unions located in the eastern US that use the Symitar core processing system. There are other user groups around the US and you can find the latest list at Symitar.com.
- April 20 & 21, 2017 MnCUN Annual Meeting & Convention in Bloomington Minnesota. Networking and education event for credit unions. https://www.mncun.org/page/AnnualMeeting.
April 23-26 NACHA FASTER PAYMENTS 2017 Conference in Austin, Texas. Faster payments has arrived and the PAYMENTS conference is at the epicenter. Get beyond the hype to the facts and understand what the breadth of Same day ACH and real-time payments opportunities mean to your credit union. Learn from leading strategists and innovators to shape your product offerings and compete. Gain meaningful takeaways to inform your decision making. Enter promo code BESTPOD17 when you register to receive a 10% discount.
- June 11-14 AXFI Conference in Minneapolis Minnesota. Join BIG and OnApproach at the premier educational event for credit unions and community bank professionals who are serious about financial innovation. Register now and save $200 with the early bird special. http://www.axficonference.com/.
Have an idea for a podcast? Have something you would like to share with us? Something you would like John to research? Please contact us on Twitter or our Web site.
If you like our podcast, please tweet and share on social media.