In this first of a two-part episode, John and Glen catch up on various topics including the Walmart Canada / Visa dispute and a deeper look at gift cards in the recent Fed Payments Research study, as well as an exciting product announcement from John.
Listen to Part 2, Are Bank Accounts Necessary? And, Other Stuff: http://bigfintechmedia.com/Podcast/are-bank-accounts-necessary
Thank You for Listening!
Thank you for listening, and for helping this podcast to grow in 2016. We want you to participate in the 2017 podcasts, so John will give away 2 Google Home speakers to two listeners. To enter, just send a question or comment regarding the podcast, to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post a tweet @jbfintech or @154advisors. Winners will be announced in February.
Introducing the BIGCast App!
Listen to the latest on Finance, Technology and Innovation from BIG in our convenient new app. Download Today!
Download this podcast from iTunes.
Are you an Android user? Click Here.
Download the BIGCast App for Iphone.
In this episode:
- An update on the Walmart Canada dispute with Visa over the cost of accepting credit cards, including Visa’s response to Walmart’s actions.
- The Federal Reserve Payments Study showed that gift cards displayed little growth between the 2013 and 2016 reports. Glen discusses the factors governing the slow growth of cards, especially private user cards.
- How programmable amount gift cards are changing the gift card industry, how people use gift cards at the register, and how both of these affect the transaction counts the Fed uses in its Payments reports.
- New advancements in gift card technologies.
- John will attend the National Credit Union Information Sharing and Analysis Organization Technical Conference at the end of January and talks about why he is excited to attend.
- John makes an exciting announcement about a one of the projects that BIG has been working on, the scalability of the product, and the ability to grow the product into a platform to benefit the credit union industry.
- Why John believes that chat is the new browser, and how that can be extended to loan applications and other member-facing activities using.
- How adding AI to newly developed technologies will create new opportunities for credit unions to offer products, services, and engagement opportunities to members.
URLs related to this week's BIGCast:
- https://www.federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/fr-payments-study.htm - The Federal Reserve Payment Research page, with a link to the 2016 Federal Reserve Payments Study brief (PDF: https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/other/2016-payments-study-20161222.pdf).
- http://bigfintechmedia.com/Podcast/giving-credit-where-debit-is-due - Glen and John review the Fed’s 2016 Payments Study in this recent podcast.
- https://ncuisao.org/ - The National Credit Union Information Sharing and Analysis Organization Web page.
- http://www.bigfiveiot.com/ - The FIVE page where you can learn more about the platform, and sign up for future announcements.
- https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Echo-Bluetooth-Speaker-with-WiFi-Alexa/dp/B00X4WHP5E - Amazon Echo and https://madeby.google.com/home/ Google Home – powering the IoT in your home.
- http://www.setitcredit.com/ – Setit Credit allows members to update payment information on multiple high-volume sites, while providing your credit union with a winning solution to capture card not present transactions.
- June 11-14 AXFI Conference in Minneapolis Minnesota. Join BIG and OnApproach at the premier educational event for credit unions and community bank professionals who are serious about financial innovation. Register now and save $200 with the early bird special. http://www.axficonference.com/.
- February 9 TAG FinTech GA 2017 in Atlanta Georgia. For our listeners in the Southeastern US, this content-packed one-day event features 50 C-Level speakers and over 500 attendees including players across Georgia's vibrant FinTech scene, from startups to global leaders like First Data, Worldpay, NCR and Fiserv. Be sure to say hi to Glen while you're there. http://www.tagonline.org/events/tag-fintech-ga/
Have an idea for a podcast? Have something you would like to share with us? Something you would like John to research? Please contact us on Twitter or our Web site.
If you like our podcast, please tweet and share on social media.